Search This Blog

Sunday, June 2, 2013

Potting up baby agave from the lettuce raft


My century plant went to seed earlier this season and when the pups started forming on the seed stalk it happened to coincide with the lettuce raft coming online for the first time.  Since I had no starters plants yet I just put the pups in the net pots as they got to about an inch in size. It was amazing to see them go from one inch to six over the coarse of three weeks. With roots hanging down about ten inches I figured it was time to move them out into pots.

The first batch of agave pups came out of the lettuce raft yesterday and I was able to pot them up with a soilless potting mix (perlite, vermiculite, peat moss, sand) and some of my new air permeable soft pots that I made out of some left over ground cover fabric. The fabric was cut 8"x24" then sewn together into a pot shape with a 8" bottom. They have the benefit of not making the plant get root bound. The roots grow out to the edge of the pot, then instead of running around the edge they will branch out fine root threads. Something to do with the air permeability of the fabric. They cost about 3 or 4 cents apiece for the material and took me about 4 minutes each to sew on a used basic machine. So a pretty cheap way to pot up 400 plants.  Mat



No comments:

Post a Comment